Chaenomeles speciosa ‘Navilis’ – Flowering Quince/Japonica –
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: August to October
- Flower colour: pure white
- Other features: glossy, oval, dark-green leaves; aromatic, green-yellow fruit (palatable when cooked and often used in preserves and jellies); the flowering stems are useful in indoor flower arrangements
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The stems of this vigorous, flowering quince are smothered with pretty, pure white flowers from Winter – early spring, followed by aromatic, green-yellow fruit. Excellent for planting on a sunny or partly shady boundary with moderately fertile, well-drained soil. The spiny branches are a useful deterrent against unwanted intruders and marauding cats.
- Garden care: After flowering prune side-shoots to five or six leaves and remove crossing or ill-placed stems. Once established remove excess growth in late spring or summer and cut back all side-shoots to two or three leaves.
All prices include secure mail order packaging, parcel tracking and GST.